Note: This story was updated at 11:55 am on March 16.
New Delhi: Five Indians are reportedly still missing and two injured after shooters attacked two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on Friday. Two others of Indian origin are also missing, sources in the government told The Wire.
On Friday evening, the Indian high commissioner to New Zealand had said that nine Indians were missing.
Forty nine people have been reported killed so far, and 20 others have been seriously injured. New Zealand police said they have taken four persons into custody – three men and one woman.
“This is one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” said Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. “Clearly what has happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.” Ardern said New Zealand had been placed on its highest security threat level. She said the four people in police custody held extremist views, but had not been on any police watchlists.
In the afternoon on Friday, Sanjiv Kohli, the High Commissioner of India to New Zealand had tweeted that nine persons of Indian origin are missing, but official confirmation is still awaited.
As per updates received from multiple sources…
#Republish #World #News #LatestNews